Saturday 16 November 2013

Fall 2013: Day 1, Dubai

So I begin my second trip to Europe. This time, on my own. Surreal.

And for the first time, I took Emirates. Why Emirates? It was the best option at that time. It may not be the cheapest, but this flight selection gave me the best value. Talk about value, my return flight ticket between Singapore and Rome (with a transfer at Dubai both ways) cost me S$1,108.50.

Which explains why my trip began in Dubai.

So after a flight of almost 8 hours, I arrive Dubai International Airport.......at 1.00am in the morning. It could be better, but believe me, it was the best choice. So I killed time by having a very late supper at Subway, surf the net, did one or two Sudoku puzzles and eventually un-glamourously slept sitting on the floor, resting my back on one of the pillars with a power socket (yes, I was chaging my mobile phone at the same time)

Dubai International Airport
Then at about 5.30am, I woke up to catch one of the first trains out to the city. With the next flight at 3.05pm, I know I have to return to the airport by 1.00pm. I had a plan and a checklist of places to go. Top of the list: The World's Tallest Building - The Burj Khalifa.

Dubai Metro
First stop on my list was actually the Burj Al-Arab. I leave the airport via the Red Line of the Dubai Metro for the Mall of the Emirates Station. Once there, I realised that there is no way I can get to the Burj Al-Arab by foot and still make it to my second stop. My second stop is a pre-booked visit to the Burj Khalifa at 9.00am. You can purchase tickets from home at their At The Top website. My ticket costed AED 130.00. So I had to settle for a photo of the Burj Al-Arab from afar before heading to the Burj Khalifa/Dubai Mall station.

Burj Al-Arab
Dubai City Skyline
Walking over from the Metro station to get to the foot of the Burj Khalifa took longer than expected. Dubai Mall was super huge. It took me about 20 minutes to get to the ticket counter. I got there in good time and after a short queue, ascended to the viewing gallery. Here are some shots:






Elmo
I then made my way out of the maze that is Dubai Mall to take the Metro to Emirates station via the Red Line. I exited Emirates station to take a bus (You can take either Bus F8, 43 or 64A) to Dubai's Hard Rock Cafe.

Weather is pretty hot. That explains the
air-conditioned bus-stop. 
Hard Rock Cafe, Dubai
Take the same bus back to Emirates Station. From there, I took the Metro back to the airport, in time for my flight to Rome.

At Rome's Fiumicino Airport, I took the train to Roma Termini. I remembered checking that a train ticket to Roma Termini will cost €11, but the ticket I got was €16 (inclusive of €2 in fees) The train ride took about 30 minutes. After which, I switched to the Metro for a 10 minute ride to Manzoni Station. My hotel, Milton Hotel Roma, is just a mere 2 minute walk from the station. By the time I arrive, it was already 8.00pm and all I want to do was to get some sleep on a proper bed!

Fiumicino Station
Single Room, Milton Hotel Roma

No comments: